Mayotte, the beginning of the adventure. The Mahorais closed lagoon is one of the largest in the world. You can discuss its conservation with an expert. It’s an opportunity to admire the underwater fauna, including turtles, dolphins and manta rays, which swim around magnificent coral formations. You will also have the time to admire the beauty of the sea and the magnificent white sand banks. Eco-volunteers will help you discover the wonders of these abundant natural surroundings, as well as baobabs and giant bamboo : the lemurs’ playground. As night falls, another magical show awaits you: sea turtles laying their eggs.
In Madagascar, try traditional gastronomy. Dive into the heart of the Andasibe forest, home to many species of lemur, including the indri-indri : the largest lemur in the world. Then visit the Vohimana Community Reserve and enjoy its native biodiversity. Meet aye-ayes (a mysterious kind of lemur) and enjoy the calm shores of Lake Ampitabe and the adjacent village of Akanin’ny Nofy (“dream nest” in Malagasy). Then, go to Sainte-Marie, Madagascar’s idyllic island, where you will find fine-sand beaches, historical heritage and natural riches (whales, signs of pirate activity, etc.).
(Based on 6 people sharing)
|Getting in touch with nature||5/5|
|Meeting the locals||5/5|
A ECOTOURISTIC CIRCUIT CHARACTERIZED BY
Discovering biodiversity and the importance of protecting it
Nights at ecolodges, all of whose profits go to the local population
Hiking and activities in the countryside
Interactions with local people and associations
Historical and cultural tours
The tours, meetings and transfers mentioned may vary depending on the availability of participants and local constraints.
Day 1 : Paris – Dzaoudzi
Fly from Paris to Dzaoudzi. The airline will serve you dinner on-board
Day 2 : Dzaoudzi – N’Gouja
Once in Dzaoudzi, you will be transferred to the Jardin Maoré ecolodge bungalows. After lunch, you will visit N’Gouja Beach and see its turtles, giant baobabs and lemurs. A good dinner will be served at the hotel.
Day 3 : Boat trip
The ecolodge will give you breakfast. Then, you will have free time until the afternoon when a boat trip on the sea is planned. A specialist marine biologist guide will help you explore the underwater environment and explain the challenges of marine conservation. You will spend the night at the ecolodge.
Day 4 : Saziley peninsula
After a delicious breakfast, go hiking and picnic on the Saziley peninsula with a local guide or an eco-volunteer from a local association. Dinner awaits you upon your return.
Day 5 : N’Gouja
After breakfast in N’Gouja, you will have a free day. You could enjoy a kayak tour or relax by the sea. Dinner and night at the ecolodge.
Day 6 : Mont Choungi
Start the day with a tasty breakfast before climbing Mont Choungui with a local guide. Lunch at your own expense, dinner and night at the Jardin Maoré.
Day 7 : Sada / Coconi / Bandrele
Breakfast, dinner and night at the ecolodge. During the day, take a trip to the Sada Crafts House and the Coconi Botanical Garden. Discover the sensational scent of the ylang ylang in Combani, the Bandrele salt eco-museum (depending on the season) and the island’s cultures.
Day 8 : N’Gouja
After breakfast, you will have a free day. Back to the ecolodge for dinner and rest.
Day 9 : Mayotte – Madagascar
Breakfast at the ecolodge ; then you will have the day to buy souvenirs until you leave for Madagascar. Upon your arrival, a team will take care of your transfer to Hotel Lapasoa for a cocktail briefing. Dinner and night at the hotel.
Day 10 : Antananarivo
After breakfast, explore a UNESCO World Heritage Site: the Royal Hill of Ambohimanga. You will have lunch at a restaurant at the foot of this icon of the Merina monarchy. In the evening, attend a cooking workshop and prepare your own dinner before returning to your hotel.
Day 11 : Antananarivo – Andasibe
Leave for Andasibe after your Lapasoa breakfast. On arrival, you will be able to enjoy lunch prepared by women of the Kanto association. Hiking with the association, discover the village’s natural, cultural and historical heritage. Stop off at Moramanga or visit the historic gendarmerie museum before going to the Vakona Forest Lodge hotel, where you will be on full-board.
Day 12 : Andasibe
Visit the Andasibe National Park during the day and admire its native fauna and flora. Classic dinner and night at Vakona Forest Lodge
Day 13 : Andasibe – Vohimana
After breakfast, head to the Vohimana Community Reserve managed by the NGO Homme et l’Environment. When you arrive, you will be amazed by the beautiful orchids. Lunch, dinner and night at an ecolodge.
Day 14 : Vohimana – Akanin’ny Nofy
A good breakfast is needed before leaving Vohimana for Akanin’ny Nofy. At nightfall, go and see the enigmatic aye-aye lemurs at the Hotel Palmarium’s private reserve ; enjoy full-board accommodation.
Day 15 : Pangalanes Canal
After a light and early breakfast, take a traditional pirogue trip on the Pangalanes Canal. You will return to the hotel after a long day for a night of relaxation.
Day 16 : Akanin’ny Nofy – Mahambo
Breakfast at the hotel before leaving for Tamatave and Mahambo. You will stay on a full-board package at Hotel La Pirogue.
Day 17 : Mahambo – Sainte Marie
From Mahambo, cross over to Sainte-Marie by sea. You will stay on a full-board package at Hotel Princess Bora.
Day 18 to 19 : Sainte Marie
A busy day awaits : you may be able to go on a whale watching trip from Sainte Marie, depending on the season. Also visit the island’s historic sites, like the famous pirate cemeteries. Head to the hotel for dinner.
Day 20 : Sainte Marie – La Réunion – Paris
It is the end of your stay. After breakfast, go to the airport. You will stop off on Rèunion before continuing to Paris.
EXPERIENCES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
• Discovering biodiversity and the importance of protecting flora and fauna in N’Gouja
• Mount Choungi hike with breathtaking views, then Saziley with the Escale eco-volunteer association
• Stay at the environmentally friendly Jardin Maoré Ecolodge.
• Meeting with Kanto Association for the Conservation of the Natural and Cultural Heritage of Central-East Madagascar
• Nights at ecolodge
• Lunch with the villagers of Anjiro
• Cooking workshop in the capital’s historic Hauteville quarter
• Traditional pirogue ride on the Pangalanes Canal
• See whales off Sainte-Marie
Time difference (from UK)
Mayotte and Madagascar
• UTC +3 (BST +2) in summerand
• UTC +3 (GMT +3) in winter
Meals and drinks
Meals in both countries : As per the schedule (drinks extra)
• Sainte Marie-La Réunion
• La Réunion-Paris
Mayotte and Madagascar : Tipping is at the customer’s discretion (check with the driver if needed)
Mayotte : Guide, depending on the programme and activities
• Driver-guide from Antananarivo to Manambato
• Jetty for Akanin’ny Nofy
Mayotte and Madagascar : All bank cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc.) are accepted by ATMs located in big cities and medium-sized towns.
Bring with you
Mayotte : Suitable footwear, sunscreen and mosquito repellent, wind and rainproof jacket
Madagascar : Mosquito repellent, sunscreen and mosquito repellent (in compliance with environmental standards).
Mayotte : Optional insurance can be provided for an additional charge
Madagascar : Don’t forget travel/health insurance covering repatriation and medical care.
Mayotte : National identity card or valid passport for European Union citizens. A visa is not required. Passport for Swiss citizens.
Madagascar : For French nationals travelling to Madagascar, it is essential to have a passport with at least six months of validity remaining. A visa will be issued at the airport. You will need two ID photos. For a stay of less than 30 days the cost is €35, payable in person and in cash, upon presentation of passport.
Mayotte : Half-board accommodation at the Jardin Maoré
• Antananarivo : hotel located in a historic part of the city
• Andasibe and Vohimana : Ecolodge
• Akanin’ny Nofy, Mahambo and Sainte-Marie : hotels
• Transfer by car then two hours by boat from the airport to Jardin Maoré
• Saziley : One hour by car to M’Samoudou.
• Mont Choungui : 30 minutes by car from the ecolodge to the foot of Choungui.
• Minibus transfer (two hours) from the ecolodge to Dzaoudzi Airport
Madagascar (except Sainte-Marie)
• Antananarivo – Ambohimanga : two-hour drive
• Antananarivo – Moramanga : three-hour drive
• Moramanga – Anjiro : one-hour drive
• Moramanga – Andasibe : 30-minute drive
• Andasibe – Vohimana : 30-minute drive and 20-minute walk to reach the community reserve
• Vohimana – Akanin’ny Nofy : two to three hours’ drive then one-hour crossing from Manambato to Akanin’ny Nofy
• Akanin’ny Nofy – Tamatave : two to three hours on the Pangalanes Canal
• Tamatave – Mahambo : two hours’ drive
• Mahambo – Sainte-Marie : three-hour sea crossing
Mayotte : As Mayotte is part of France, European tourists will be aware of the rescue and assistance services available. It has a constantly evolving health infrastructure, similar to that in mainland France.
No vaccinations are required. Vaccinations against diphtheria, tetanus, polio, hepatitis A and B, typhoid fever, whooping cough and measles for children are recommended.
Madagascar : No vaccine required, but those against hepatitis A and B and typhoid fever are recommended if you have been in mainland Africa (under three months)
Price per person
(airfare not included)
Air fares, which are indicative only, and subject to change
• CDG-DZA return trip : from €750
• DZA-TAN one-way trip : from €260
• Tana-RUN one-way trip : from €330
This price includes
• Double rooms in hotels with half-board
• Stated meals
• The guided tours and excursions mentioned
• Airport-hotel-airport transfers
• Tourist taxes
This price does not include
• Insurance (can be provided for an extra charge)
• International flights from Paris and inter-island flights
• Drinks and personal spending
• Bank charges
• Any other expenses not mentioned in this schedule
This price includes
• Transfers throughout the trip to Madagascar
• Full-board hotel and ecolodge accommodation
• Entry into sites and parks
• Anjiro excursions
• Antananarivo cooking workshop
This price does not include
• International and inter-island flights
• Personal insurance
• Lunches and drinks
• Personal spending
*Single room supplement for Madagascar
No single supplement at the Jardin Maoré (Mayotte)
Name : COMPAGNIE DES ILES VANILLE
Tel : +262 (0) 262 38 93 89
Email : email@example.com
Name : MORA TRAVEL
Tel : +261 20 22 020 12
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
THE VANILLA ISLANDS