The Comoros Archipelago is a unique destination. Its variety of fauna and flora, its idyllic, deserted beaches and the heady scents are what make this first stage of your trip to the Vanilla Islands so authentic. In this archipelago nestled in the heart of the Indian Ocean, land and sea are as one. Discover both exuberant and peaceful nature. Discover the natural wonders : Mount Karthala, Lac Salé as well as observing a turtle egg-laying site, roam the alleys in Moroni towards its medina and be amazed by the kindness of the Comorian people.
In Madagascar, try traditional gastronomy. Dive into the heart of the Andasibe forest which is home to many lemur species including the indri-indri, the largest on the island. Then visit the Vohimana community reserve and its native biodiversity. Get acquainted with the mysterious aye-aye lemur and enjoy the peaceful banks of Lake Ampitabe, where the village of Akanin’ny Nofy (“the nest of dreams”) is located. Then head to Sainte-Marie, Madagascar’s paradise island where you will find fine, sandy beaches, historic heritage and natural riches (whales, signs of pirate activity, etc.).
A ECOTOURISTIC CIRCUIT CHARACTERIZED BY
Learning about biodiversity and the importance of protecting it
Environmentally-friendly ecolodges – all of their profits go to the local population
Hiking and outdoor activities
Interactions with local people and associations
The tours, meetings and transfers mentioned may vary depending on the availability of the participants and local constraints.
Day 1 : Paris – Moroni
From Paris to Moroni. Dinner provided on the flight.
Day 2 : Moroni
On arrival, you will head to the Jardin de la Paix Hotel. In the street, you will already be able to smell the heady scent of essential oils. The day will continue with a visit to the Medina before dinner at the hotel.
Day 3 : Mount Karthala
A tasty breakfast is available at the hotel. You will then go to a ylang-ylang distillery to learn the secrets of how this flower essence is made. You will then visit the legendary Karthala volcano. After dark, have dinner and get plenty of rest in the bivouac.
Day 4 : Mount Karthala
Early in the morning, a nice walk is on the menu in the fresh air of Mount Karthala before you start the descent. After lunch, you will have the afternoon free to explore the island and learn about its inhabitants. A traditional massage with essential oils is provided to help you relax. Dinner and overnight stay at Laka Lodge.
Day 5 : Mitsamiouli
Breakfast is served at the lodge before your return flight to Moroni. Once you get there, enjoy a swim and meet with an environmental protection organisation. A barbecue lunch in the village chalets will whet your palate before going to Mitsamiouli. Once you get there, you will visit Lac Salé, the bottom of the crater and turtle island. Domaine du Lac will be the last destination of the evening.
Day 6 : Moroni-Antananarivo
After breakfast, take your flight to Madagascar. Upon your arrival in Antananarivo, a team will take care of your transfer to the Lapasoa hotel, where you will receive a welcome cocktail. After a short briefing about your stay, you can settle in before dinner.
Day 7 : Antananarivo
After breakfast, explore a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Royal Hill of Ambohimanga. You will have lunch in a restaurant at the foot of this Merina monarchy site. In the evening, take part in a cooking class and make your own dinner before heading back to the hotel.
Day 8 : Antananarivo – Andasibe
Head to Andasibe after your breakfast at Lapasoa Hotel. On arrival, your lunch will be provided by women from the Kanto Association. Go hiking with the association to discover the village’s natural, cultural and historic heritage. There will be a short detour in Moramanga where you will visit the historic gendarmerie museum before reaching the Vakana Forest Lodge Hotel, where full-board accommodation is provided.
Day 9 : Andasibe
Visit the Andasibe National Park during the day and admire its native fauna and flora. Classic dinner and overnight stay in the Vakona Forest Lodge.
Day 10 : Andasibe – Vohimana
After breakfast at the hotel, head to the Vohimana community reserve which is managed by the NGO Man and the Environment (L’Homme et l’Environnement). When you arrive, you will be amazed by the beauty of the orchids. Lunch, dinner and overnight stay in an ecolodge.
Day 11 : Vohimana – Akanin’ny Nofy
An excellent breakfast will be provided before you leave Vohimana to head to Akanin’ny Nofy. After dark, head off to meet the mysterious aye-aye lemur in the private reserve of the Palmarium Hotel, full-board accommodation provided.
Day 12 : The Pangalanes Canal
After a light and early breakfast, take a trip in a traditional canoe on the Pangalanes Canal. You will return to the hotel after this long day for a night of relaxation.
Day 13 : Akanin’ny Nofy – Mahambo
Breakfast at the hotel before departure for Toamasina and Mahambo. Full-board accommodation will be provided at La Pirogue Hotel.
Day 14 : Mahambo – Sainte Marie
From Mahambo, cross over to Sainte-Marie by boat. Full-board accommodation will be provided at the Princesse Bora Hotel.
Day 15 to J16 : Sainte Marie
A busy day awaits : depending on the season, you may be able to go on a whale watching trip on the island of Sainte Marie. Also visit the island’s historic sites, such as the famous pirate cemeteries. Head back to the hotel for dinner.
Day 17 : Sainte Marie – La Réunion-Paris
This is the end of your stay. After breakfast, you will head to the airport. You will have a stopover at Réunion before continuing on to Paris.
EXPERIENCES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
• Accommodation in eco-responsible establishments
• Immersion in the country’s history and interaction with the local population (Medina, ylang-ylang distillery)
• Brand new experience trekking in a natural and protected reserve (Karthala)
• Discover local flora and fauna and the importance of protecting nature and biodiversity (Chomoni beach)
• Meeting with the Kanto Association which promotes the conservation of natural heritage and culture of the Central-Eastern Region of Madagascar
• Overnight stays in an ecolodge
• Lunch with the villagers of Anjiro
• Cooking workshop in the capital’s historic Hauteville area
• Traditional pirogue ride on the Pangalanes Canal
• Whale watching off Sainte Marie
• Paris – Moroni
• Moroni – Antananarivo
• Antananarivo – Paris
Madagascar and Comoros : Don’t forget travel/health insurance which includes repatriation and medical care.
Comoros and Madagascar : Tips and the amount is at the customer’s discretion (check with the driver if need be)
Time difference (from UK)
Madagascar and Comoros
• Summer : one hour later than France
• Winter : two hours later than France
Trip management in both countries
Comoros : Driver and guide depending on the programme and activities
• Driver guide for Antananarivo to Manambato
• Pier in Akanin’ny Nofy
All bank cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc.) are accepted at ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) located in the big cities and the medium-sized towns. Shops do not usually accept them.
Meals and drinks
• Lunch and dinner depending on the programme and activities
• Drinks at an additional charge
• Full-board accommodation
• Drinks at an additional charge
What to bring with you
Comoros : Walking shoes, sun cream and mosquito repellent (compliant with environmental standards)
If possible : clothes and books to give to the inhabitants
Madagascar : Walking shoes, sun cream and mosquito repellent (compliant with environmental standards)
Comoros : A visa is required to enter Comoros. It is issued on arrival at Moroni airport and costs about 30 euros. French nationals travelling abroad must have a return plane ticket, cash provisions of €30/day and the address of where they are staying.
Madagascar : French nationals travelling to Madagascar must have a passport which is valid for at least six months. A visa will be issued at the airport. You will need two ID photos. For a stay of less than 30 days, the cost is €35, payable in person and in cash upon presentation of a passport.
Comoros : It is strongly recommended that you take out a travel assistance contract or insurance to cover all medical and repatriation costs. Consult your doctor or an international vaccination centre for a health assessment, if necessary, and get healthcare recommendations, in particular about vaccinations.
Madagascar : No vaccinations are required. Vaccinations against hepatitis A and B and typhoid fever are recommended.
• Airport – Accomodation : 30 minutes to 1 hour
• Transfer to site : 30 min to 1 hour 30 minutes
• Mistamiouli Tour : 2 hours
• Antananarivo – Ambohimanga : 2-hour drive
• Antananarivo – Moramanga : 3-hour drive
• Moramanga – Anjiro : 1-hour drive
• Moramanga – Andasibe : 30-minute drive
• Andasibe – Vohimana : 30-minute drive and 20-minute walk to reach the community reserve
• Vohimana – Akanin’ny Nofy : 2-3-hour drive then 1-hour crossing from Manambato to Akanin’ny Nofy
• Akanin’ny Nofy – Toamasina : two to three hours on the Pangalanes Canal
• Toamasina – Mahambo : 2-hour drive
• Mahambo – Sainte Marie : 3-hour sea crossing
• Grande Comore
– Jardin de la Paix Hotel
– Chalet at Domaine du Lac
– Community bungalow in Itsamia,
– Laka Lodge (Ecolodge)
• Antananarivo : hotel located in the historic part of the city
• Andasibe and Vohimana : Ecolodge
• Akanin’ny Nofy, Mahambo and Sainte Marie : hotels
Price per person
Plane ticket not included
Airfares – indicative and subject to change
• Paris Charles de Gaulle – Moroni return ticket : from €800
• Moroni – Antananarivo : from €320
This price includes
• Accommodation – private room
• The meals stated (excluding drinks)
• The guided tours and excursions stated
• Airport transfers
• Tourist taxes
This price does not include
• Visa and insurance (can be provided at an additional charge)
• International flights from Paris and inter-island flights
• Drinks and personal spending
• Any other expenses not mentioned above
This price includes
• Transfers throughout the trip
• Full-board accommodation
• Entrance fees for sites and parks
• Cooking workshop in the capital
This price does not include
• A visa for Madagascar
• Drinks and tips
• Mandatory guide’s fees in parks and sites
• Travel and health insurance
• All activities in Sainte-Marie
• Personal spending
*Full board and accommodation with varying levels of comfort €340 supplement for a private room in Madagascar
Name : Alawiya Idriss Farid
Tel : +269 322 62 13
Email : email@example.com
Name : MORA TRAVEL
Tel : +261 20 22 020 12
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
THE VANILLA ISLANDS